Thursday, May 20, 2010

Hex/Clay


Since my studio project is concerned with the geometry of the nest of the Mallee Fowl, an Australian bird (which is endangered), I began my research looking at the geometry of various clays and soils. Frequently the molecular structure of clay is either of a hexagonal or octagonal nature.






 By subdividing a surface into square units and breaking each square into fourteen discrete triangular parts I was able to optimize the distribution of the hexagonal pattern across the surface. 


I then piped the perimeter of the hexagonal module, creating an underlying frame for the panel system. Two attractors were added to thin out the members on one side of the structure, as I needed to have more area for openings in the skin for sunlight to enter from the south and didn't want bulky structure in the way. 




Here is the combined result:




I had also intended for the center point of each hexagonal panel to offset or extrude a bit, some panels in one direction and some in the other, but was unsuccessful at this point. Please don't hesitate to post if you have any tips on how to improve this technique. A screenshot of the Grasshopper definition appears below.





No comments:

Post a Comment